Battlefield V is really making me confident regarding the future of the franchise. A few hours ago, EA finally revealed Battlefield V as promised.
Just as we expected, Battlefield V is set in the World War 2 era. Now don’t mistake this new installment to be a copy of its predecessor, Battlefield 1. In fact, there’s a ton that has changed with this release of Battlefield V. Not only does this release change a ton of Battlefield’s aesthetics, but has also pushed the gameplay into a much more tactical shooter.
Now, what EA has introduced here apart from a visual overhaul include specific or predictable spray-patterns, the absence of auto heath regeneration and much more. To revive a player, players would actually have to go through a full animation worth a few seconds to be able to recover. On top of that, health wouldn’t be regenerated as we’ve seen in previous titles, instead, health would regenerate in stages. This means that players currently regenerating their health would see their health regenerate in steps rather then in units.
Additionally, just live a few other competitive shooters, Battlefield V would no longer allow players to be spotted on the mini-map unless they’re actually visually spotted. Not only would this add an excellent dynamic to how you play the game, but would also challenge players to use their “seventeenth” sense to captivate the enemy.
Nvidia also managed to make an interview with the devs at EA.
Also, there would no longer be any Season Passes as EA is slightly shifting their business model. At launch, there would be two variants of the game. These versions of Battlefield V include a Standard Edition as well as a Deluxe Edition.
Players who pre-order the game would get exclusive benefits as well as get access to the Early Access to the game prior to its official release on the 19th of October. The game is set to release on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 as well as on PC.
Thanks to a user over at ResetEra, we managed to find a full neat list of what’s confirmed with Battlefield V. Here’s what’s confirmed:
- No Season Pass
- Launch locations are France, Africa and Rottedam and North Africa desert
- Coop Mode called Combined Arms
- Single player War Stories return
- Fortifications are things like sand ags, trenches, tank stoppers. Only supports can build offensively defense fortifications such as machine guns, field cannons and are much faster at building everything.
- Predetermined areas to build such as at flags, can rebuild destroyed buildings
- Health bar is in stages, only regen up to closet stage not to 100 anymore
- Physical interactions – every action in the game requires a player interact for things like medkits, spotting, ammo, ledge grabbing (example: healing requires walking over to a health pack, character animation to pick it up, then start healing)
- No more HUD/map spotting, spotting is based on movement/changes around you
- Much less ammo on spawn, out of ammo after a few fights, but more ways to resupply ammo in the battlefield from packs, crates, or grabbing small amounts of ammo off of bodies (all requires physical interactions)
- Revive system has a full on animation, takes a few seconds to complete, no more revive trains, takes time to complete
- Ragdolls are server side, can now drag a downed player’s body elsewhere
- Any class can do a squad revive, takes longer than a medic revive, does not give full health points
- Can call for help when down such as in the trailer
- Ragdolls (player bodies) effect the environment, push down grass etc.
- Gunplay completely changed
- No more visual recoil
- Each gun has a unique recoil pattern that can be learned and mastered
- Bipods easier to use and setup
- Bullet penetration through thin wood, sheet metal, walls
- Movement change, can now dive froward, backward, left and right similar to R6 Siege prone system
- Diving has a delay to prevent dolphin diving
- Crouch sprinting is in the game
- Can burst out of widows and commando roll, no destroying windows first
- Can catch, throwback or shoot grenades
- Less grenades because less ammo
- Can tow items in the game with vehicles such as previously stationary anti-air guns, teammate can use an anti-air gun while you tow it with a vehicle
- For example, can drive a tiger tank towing a field cannon behind it or a truck towing ammo crate to resupply teammates on the front line
- Destruction explodes inwards or outwards based on where the destruction happens. Throw a grenade inside of the building? The explosion sends things outside of it. Outside of it? Breaks inwards.
- Tank driving into a building slowly destroys a building, walls slowly crack/fall, not instant
- Heavily focused on squad play, instant placed in squad when joining a game
- New squad spawning system, squad deploy system that shows what squad mates are doing in third person in real time before the tactical map screen, so spawning on squad is kicker than spawning on tactical map screen
- Since squad spawning/deploying is faster than tactical map, squad wipes are serious
- Squads accumulate points that can be spent on “squad call-ins”, only squad leader can spend them in
- Squad Call-ins are V1 or JB2 rockets as seen in the trailer, supply drops with ammo/health, a smoke barrage, heavy weapon pickups (not hero kits), squad only vehicles such as Churchill crocodile flamethrower tank or the Sturm tiger
- Elite classes are gone
- Behemoths are gone
- Large, non-fatal explosions can knock a player over
- Four classes are back: assault, medic, scout, support
- Create a solider, add them to a company of soldiers, then can customize things like gender, face look, face paint, outfit, accessories, etc. and assign them a class archtype
- Class archetypes highly customization
- Can be an assault that specializes in anti-tank or anti-infantry only, or a mix of both, etc.
- Highly specialized archetypes called exotics such as a recon paratrooper, stealthy short-range behind enemy lines person who uses a suppressed SMG and silent gadgets like pistols and garrotes comes with silent footsteps and throwing knives
- Can change and add specialization trees such as agility, flak armor, suppressive resistance
- The more you play a class more you get more specializations/archetypes within said class
- Same system for guns, pick a gun, level it up, unlock specializations and making gameplay choices in a skill tree on that gun
- Specializations are the only thing that affects how a gun plays or feels (ex: bipod)
- Five-seven elements to change on a gun to make it your own (stocks, sights, muzzles, chassis, skins, leaves on the front, cloth on back, straps, etc).
- Gameplay and visual customization is SEPARATE. Look of weapon is just visual without impacting gameplay, specialization is what determines how the gun plays/feels.
- Same system for vehicles and planes
- Asymmetric vehicles for teams, (ex: one team might get a big slow tank that does lot of damage, other team gets a small fast tank that does light damage)
- Grand Operations gamemode, each day is a full match, always advance to the next day
- GOs have different objectives per day
- Success or failure in GO days have visual and gameplay impact
- Day 4 only has a chance to happen if there isn’t a clear winner from previous days
- Day 4 is last stand, limited ammo, no respawns, whoever lives to the end wins
- Coop mode, combined arms with a dynamic mission creator/AI that sits between SP/MP as a creative sandbox
- Soldiers created for a company can be used in both coop and MP, parity
- No news on suppression yet, uncertain if in game
- All logic in game is server side, not client side so changes to systems do not require a patch
- Promises of more communication between devs and community, roadmaps, etc.
- New content is called Tides of war, daily/weekly/monthly challenges with overarching chapters and questlines that give you “unique items and cosmetics”
- Tides of War gives new maps, game modes, limited time experiences
- Variety of maps with different tones such as complete crushing battlefield chaos or more slow space large maps with tempo that goes up and down
- Gamemodes confirmed: Grand Operations, Conquest, TDM, Domination
- No news on RSP
- The Shhhh animation from the trailer is possible to experience in game
- Transport vehicles are alive on the map and can jump into them
- Combat vehicles spawn from tactical deployment map